Low-Level Light Therapy (LLLT) or Low-Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT)
LLLT or LILT is a form of laser medicine used in physical therapy that uses low-level (low-power) lasers or light-emitting diodes to alter cellular function. The low-power laser stimulates and encourages cells to function and enhances the body’s immune system response as well as facilitating natural healing.
A laser is a device that emits light through a process of optical amplification based on the stimulated emission of electromagnetic radiation. The term “laser” originated as an acronym for “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation”.
The process is curative and eliminates symptoms including pain and inflammation. The technology uses a combination of light wavelengths and multiple steps to achieve optimal penetration and absorption of the light energy.
LILT is completely safe and unlike most pharmaceutical solutions and other therapeutic options, LILT is non-toxic, non-invasive and in over one million individual treatments, no adverse effects have been reported.
Treatments are usually thirty minutes to a full hour in length, depending on the condition and the size of the area being treated. On your initial visit, you will need to fill out paperwork giving personal information as well as past medical history.
The actual treatment will be applied using three steps of two different wavelengths of light and the final step a laser probe is used on local points of pain and inflammation. The majority of patients will not notice any changes with regard to their symptoms until treatment session three or four. There are however exceptions to this rule.
The number of treatments will depend on the chronicity and the extent of the condition involved. Based on the genetic makeup of the cells, and the individual’s response to LILT will vary to some degree.
LILT is the treatment of choice for:
- Epicondylitis (Golfer’s or Tennis Elbow)
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Repetitive Stress Syndrome and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Temporal-mandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- Disc Herniation
- Facet joint syndrome
- Fractures with associated soft tissue injuries
- Ligament and tendon tear
- Neurological Pathologies (peripheral nerve damage)
- Bursitis – inflammation of a bursa, typically in the knee, elbows, or shoulder
- Myositis – muscle tissue inflammation and degeneration
- Plantar fasciitis (jogger’s knee)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Calcifications (Bone spurs)
- Chondromalacia patella (CMP) – damaged kneecap cartilage
- Discogenic and Vertebrogenic radiculopathy
- Spinal stenosis
- Acne, including scars
- Dermal lesions including keloid scars
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Herpes zoster (shingles)
Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) Overview
The lasers used in LLLT are typically small (often handheld) units, and unlike surgical and aesthetic lasers, do not heat the targeted tissue. Instead, LLLT emits low levels of light that are absorbed by your mitochondria (the energy-producing organelles in many of your cells), which then can increase cellular energy production and ultimately help heal surrounding tissue. This process is comparable to plant photosynthesis, during which sunlight is absorbed by plants and converted to energy for the plants to grow.
Healing Benefits of LLLT
Low-level laser therapy may sometimes provide an effective alternative to surgery or medications—without accompanying side effects. It can help regenerate tissue, reduce inflammation, decrease pain, and increase immunity, and research has shown its efficacy in treating many conditions.
The term Laser is the acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. A laser light is monochromatic, collimated, and coherent. A laser is a device that produces such a light. Low level laser therapy (LLLT) is used by some physiotherapists to treat various musculoskeletal condition. LLLT is a non-invasive light source treatment that generates a single wavelength of light. It emits no heat, sound, or vibration. It is also called photobiology or biostimulation. LLLT is believed to affect the function of connective tissue cells (fibroblasts), accelerate connective tissue repair and act as an anti-inflammatory agent. Lasers with different wavelengths, varying from 632 to 904 nm, are used in the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
Wavelengths between 660 nm and 905 nm have the ability to penetrate the skin and soft/hard tissues. This light has a good effect on pain, inflammation and tissue repair.
Effects of LLLT
The effects of the LLLT which are significant for physiotherapy, and makes this tool useful to enhance other treatments as therapeutic exercise, are:
- Reduction of inflammation: It can occur within hours to days.
relief :for example pain associated with TMD, pain in tendinopathies, or neuropathic pain.
- Accelerated tissue regeneration: LLLT stimulates cell proliferation of fibroblasts, keratinocytes, endothelial cells
- Reduction of volume and pain in Lymphedema.
Contraindication according to The North American Association for Laser Therapy
- Eyes: Do not aim laser beams into the eyes and everyone present should wear appropriate safety spectacles.
- Cancer: Do not treat over the site of any known primary carcinoma or secondary metastasis unless the patient is undergoing chemotherapy when LLLT can be used to reduce side effects such as mucositis. LLLT, however, can be considered in terminally- ill cancer patients for palliative relief.
- Pregnancy: Do not treat directly over the developing fetus.
- Epileptics: Be aware that low frequency pulsed visible light (<30Hz) might trigger a seizure in photosensitive, epileptic patients. The adverse effects of LLLT have been reported to be no different from those reported by patients exposed to placebo devices in trials.
Body Wellness Treatments
- Registered Massage Therapists
- Hot Stone & Relaxing Massage
- Oxygen Chamber
- Hair Restoration
- Frozen Shoulder Cure
- Ultrasound Therapy
- Knee & shoulder pain
- Spinal Decompression
- Neck Decompression
- Therapeutic low-level laser
Trigenics® Anti-Aging & Body Wellness Medical Clinic can make you feel better and look years younger in just one treatment. We are your one-stop Medical clinic and treatment center.
Our practitioners & Medical Aestheticians have years of experience coupled with more continued education and training than those in any other clinic. This ensures that you will get the highest quality treatment with better results.
We also offer many services covered by extended health care benefits.
*Results may vary